The Great Day
We met pain in a garden where we lived a lie
We met hope in a manger and a baby's cry
Rescued by hands bleeding grace
Are we ready to see His face?
On the great day
He will come to claim us with a rushing wind
Blown like fields of wheat, the world will bow and bend
Held between our joy and disbelief
Every trembling heart will finally face the same way
On the great day
One day Love will wear the crown
One day Love will set us free
Hands up high and faces down
Angels teaching us to sing
He will be King
He will be King
He who scattered us on every distant shore
He will gather us unto Himself once more
Let the story of our footprints tell
We were walking well, holding high Your name
Until the great day
One day Love will wear the crown
One day Love will set us free
Hands up high and faces down
Angels teaching us to sing
He will be King
He will be King
He will be the new sunrise
Steal the darkness from our eyes
When we fail to find the words
Holy, Holy we will cry
He will be King
On the great day
On the great day
This song! So much imagery accompanies these lyrics. This is one that matches words with melody in a beautiful pairing! The verses describe our flawed humanity and in the next breath, God's awesome power and grace. As a christian, most of my life, I haven't given a thought to what it will be like when He returns. Partly because I am that flawed human, and partly because it can be scary at times. He will come, every knee will bow. I love where it says "every trembling heart will finally face the same way". As a nation, we have never truly been unified by one single thing/event/person/idea. Sure...9/11 , the bombing of Pearl Harbor, those huge and traumatic events did bring a lot of people together...but there were still some who think maybe it's what the US deserved. Some who sat by mocking those who stepped up to the plate and those who supported the bravery of the heroes of that time.
But when He returns, and we see Him...knees bowed, tongues offering praise...it's almost too much to think about!
Since the verses of this song are sung by a duet, as a part of the choir, I haven't looked at their lyrics much. Just one of the many reasons why I wanted to start blogging about the songs we do! It's exciting to see these words and to dig deeper into their meaning! I mean..."Let the story of our footprints tell, we were walking well, holding high Your name until the great day"...that is what it's all about! How we live the life we've been given is in direct relation to what will happen on the great day! Even when we're just singing ooos and ahhhs behind the duet, I think about what it says in the chorus...Angels teaching us to sing. A single ooo or ahh in heaven is going to be immeasurably more beautiful than anything I could sing here on earth.
I suppose as a person who doesn't find joy in singing, that concept might be too hard to grasp. But for me...so much of my life is about singing (to God, in particular) that I long for the day when I will sing into eternity.
So we've come to the last verse...this is partially what inspired the new name of my blog... When Words Fail...because songs have that power to convey what you feel when you are at a loss for words.
He is the light...but he will be our only source of light after the great day...and he will steal the darkness away...I don't know what it'll be like then, obviously...no one on earth does...but I feel like we won't even remember darkness. And if we're singing for eternity....we won't need to speak...because we'll just be crying HOLY, HOLY, HOLY!
In short...I'm ready for the GREAT DAY! With all the trials of this life, it will be indescribable to experience His Glory! And to have a glimpse of it this Sunday through this song will be pure joy!
No comments:
Post a Comment