Thursday, May 1, 2008

the power of prayer

Sometimes I take for granted the fact that I can pray about anything. I complain, whine and moan about an issue to the point where it's so ridiculous. But at the end of the day, I could have been praying. It's easy to find reasons to be upset about something that's not going your way. But sometimes it's hard to find solice in the fact that grace and peace are just a prayer away.

I should know more than most that prayer is a powerful thing. Earnest prayer.

I'm going to the Women's Retreat this weekend and I am very much looking forward to it. Growing up at Donelson, I was able to go on a few very good trips with the youth group. I rededicated my life to the Lord at 13 while at the Dawson McAllister Conference. I continued to grow and flourish in my walk with Him throughout high school.

I participated in the retreat weekends each year at Father Ryan. And the summer before Junior year was invited to go the Youth Leadership Workshop. That was probably a pivotal moment in my spiritual life. I have a picture of a group of us from that week and you can just see it in our faces. That fall, I was invited to go to the Search Retreat. The weekend is held once a month throughout the year and only a certain number of students are invited. Basically, those who show an interest in going. I feel so bad that my sister was never able to participate in it because she had transferred to Beech by her Junior year. I feel like she may have worked harder for a relationship with God had she been able to experience it. It was truly a one of a kind weekend. And then Senior year I was asked to be on the Leadership Crew for another Search weekend.

It was those kinds of moments that made me love my high school experience. I ended up receiving the Christian Leadership Award at the graduation mass. And I felt like I had really earned it. It made me proud to be who I was. Proud of the way I had conducted myself over those few short years.

Then after graduation, once I was in college, it all changed. I strayed. I became a different person. A stranger to myself. And it wasn't really until 3 years ago that I really felt like I had come back from that fog.

Donelson has become more than a church to me over my 26 years. And especially over the last 3 years. And now, as I delve into a new retreat weekend, I am excited at the possibilities to find a new me. Or really find the old me.

I expect a lot of praying will be done and I hunger for the wisdom and understanding that comes with it.

1 comment:

Rachel Norris said...

i find i'm quick to say a prayer for someone who seems to need it...but when it comes to myself i always seem to forget to "pray about it"

i've only said it about 8 times in the last two days...but have a great weekend.