Tuesday, June 24, 2008

long time no blog

So I really thought I'd blog on here a lot more than I have. Myspace has been eating my blogs lately so I've not been in the blogging mood.

I can blab on and on about nothing really important and sometimes I do like putting something of importance out there. I've been thinking a lot lately about raising two kids. And the differences between a boy and a girl. Right now I'm watching Celebrity Family Feud and the category was Important Things a Mom can Teach her Son. The number one answer was respect and manners.

Well, if I had to answer that question, I'd say cultivating a strong relationship with God. And that goes for daughters as well. It might seem like something easy or second nature to someone who's been a christian for 21 years but it's actually a task.

They see you all the time. They know how you react to certain things and sometimes I can lose my cool. I try to keep a calm voice when dealing with the discipline, but every once in a while I get so frustrated with Theona. And I forget that she's only 3. She acts like such a grown up sometimes and it can distort my impression of her.

Another aspect of this whole situation is doing it alone. Not having that other authority figure there. So many people tell me what a great job I'm doing with Theona and I appreciate hearing that. It makes me feel like I'm in the right line of work. I've always wanted children and I wish that I could've finished college first, but that's something I can go back to.

Now we're throwing a boy into the mix. I don't worry about him turning out to be a good person. I don't worry about Theona either. We have the best family in the world and that includes our friends. Our kids have so many great influences on them that I don't doubt they'll be great.

I do worry about having the patience with them. That's something I struggle with from time to time. As good as Theona is, she does whine and that's something I don't really care for. I don't know a lot of parents that love the sound of a whining child, but it's not so much her whining to me, but when we're out at church or a friend's house and she whines, I feel like I have to do whatever I can to get her to stop. Not by apeasing her or anything, just telling her she needs to stop or calm down. I know other people don't care to hear kids whining.

Another thing that is looming in the back of my mind is dealing with going out anywhere with two kids alone. I know it can be done. My friend Brandi does a wonderful job with her girls and they're are even closer in age than Theona and Kaden will be. I think about going to church. Especially early on. It'll be difficult, especially when I'm staying up here alone. But I'm not even considering not going. It's way too important to me.

I picture myself bringing him with me to Sunday School, at least for the first few times I go. Of course that all depends on his mood and attitude. But I look forward to getting him into that environment.

I'm not one of those moms who thinks you should keep your baby in a bubble for the first month. I'll carry some hand sanitizer with me so that when people want to hold him, they can just use some of that. I'm not a hand washing nazi. Killing 99% of the germs is good enough for me.

I'm going to make great use of the sling carrier I got. I used a front carrier for Theona when we would go to the mall, she'd just sleep so well that way. And I could do certain things around the house too...vacuuming was the main thing.

On the box for the carrier it says that one use is for breastfeeding. That might really come in handy when I'm at someone else's house or at church. And I got a nursing cover so I can be discreet!

I think the excitement outweighs the worry I have. Being a mother of two will be a whole new adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a wonderful mother my friend, and I have no doubts that you will handle another one with as much grace as you have with Theona. I love you and I'm always here for you!