When I got online the first time today, I noticed a headline on Yahoo's main page. A senior was suspended from school for going to a prom. His girlfriend goes to a different school and he had to get permission from his principal to attend. The permission slip was for his girlfriend's school's benefit. So that they could show he had permission to be at their school's function.
Well, he goes to a Christian school that doesn't allow dancing. They sign a contract at the beginning of their time there stipulating that they can't dance. So when he went in to get the permission slip (which the principal DID sign), the principal mentioned that there would be a question about whether or not he would graduate if he went to the prom.
The guy went. I would've too. Or at least I would've really wanted to. But now he's been suspended and he's not being allowed to take his finals or graduate with the rest of his class.
He said he didn't regret the decision to go and felt it was completely worth it.
He and his step-dad were on The Early Show this morning. They said they had reviewed the school's handbook and couldn't find any rules against dancing outside of school hours.
And why would it say anything about that in the first place?? How can the school regulate what you do on your own free time?!?!?! It's a bible-based school, probably something like Lutheran or Presbyterian. I went to a Catholic high school and we had dances all the time. After every single home football game, in fact.
I know of several private schools that don't have dances, per se. They'll refer to them as formals, or consider them a banquet. But they still have actual dancing.
It's a tough call. I mean, there are several scripture references that specify you should dance. As a means of celebrating and praising God. And obviously prom isn't one of those occasions.
I watched the clip of him on The Early Show and below the video there were comments of all kinds. One person put those scripture references there. This person also stated that he should've been allowed to attend the prom and in doing so, show the example of the education and teachings he has received over the last several years.
The name of the video was Real life Footloose. And it seems like that's exactly what it is. The fact that at that school you sign a contract which states NO DANCING is a little absurd to me. How can they say that?? What if you're in your room in your own house, listening to music...and, oh my goodness...you're....you're dancing! Is hell freezing over? Are the heavens coming...crashing down?
It seems like such a small, insignificant thing to punish someone over.
No comments:
Post a Comment