Monday, May 11, 2009

movin on

We are on the countdown. We'll be moving out the last week of May! Ahhh, the feeling of freedom is inches away! We're hoping to rent a house in Joelton. Our youth pastor and his wife live there now. It's weird referring to them like that. They're our age. Aaron and Casey. That's better.

And their sweet little Desmond.

God really does answer prayers and keep his promises.

It's something I've been praying about for a while now, but hadn't really voiced it until a couple of Sundays ago. Casey comes to choir on Sunday afternoons and when I mentioned it for prayer, she immediately spoke to me about the house afterwards.

She spoke with their landlord last week and everything is looking good for us to move in. There are a couple of things that aren't as appealing in a rental. Like the fact that it doesn't have a dishwasher. And it's only got one bathroom. But we've been dealing with one bathroom for a year and a half and it's been a pain in the butt, but we've managed.

The pros are that it has space. Around the house and as far as storage goes. And there's a yard. Loren will be in the academy for 6 months. So assuming everything goes well with that, he'll be starting out as an officer on probation in January or February.

The only issue with the timing is that Theona starts kindergarten in the fall. She is very excited about going to school. But I feel like maybe I should homeschool her for the year. Hopefully we'll move into our more permanent house before she starts 1st grade. Then she can go to a public school.

I'm actually kind of excited about the prospect of homeschooling her though. Even if it'll be for just a year. I know she's ready for kindergarten, but her birthday is 10 days from the cutoff. So if I homeschool her, she may get a jumpstart on the curriculum. I've read several points of view on the subject. Some parents and teachers believe that if your child has a birthday close to the cutoff, it could be beneficial to hold them back for a year and let them start kindergarten when they're almost six. Their studies showed that they did better in school. Of course there were other parents who felt that their kids were ready for school when they were still 4 (almost 5).

I think Theona is ready intellectually. And socially, for that matter.

I think it's a tough call for the school officials to make if they don't know your children. And some parents think their children hung the moon and can do no wrong.

But going off of what my friends and family have said about Theona, I think it's safe to say that she's ready to make that step. Even without preschool. I didn't go either and I ended up with a pretty good GPA. Oh and my birthday was close to the cutoff too. I started kindergarten just as I turned 5.

There are so many things coming up in our lives. I can't wait to see what happens!!

No comments: