I literally don't have the words to describe my feeling of helplessness right now. My family wasn't directly touched by the great flood of Middle Tennessee. Our house suffered no damage despite a small leak in the roof. My dad and brother live on the second floor of their apartments, and my sister who lives on the ground floor of the same apartments didn't take on any water even though ducks were swimming in the pooled water outside her patio. They live in Hendersonville which was pretty well covered since the lake goes right through it. But there's another part of my family that was truly affected. My church family and my best friend's family.
TDF's entire basement level was flooded. The water was less than a foot high but enough damage was done. And to top it off, the insurance company may not cover it. Huge prayer request there.
Not only was the church building affected, many families from the church have flooding in their homes. A couple of friends live in cabins that were flooded so much you could only see the roofs. Our own Children's Minister's home was flooded along with about 5 or 6 other TDFers homes on the same street.
I can't express the anguish I feel over this. But the thing is, all of these families have a peace that passes all understanding. God is good, all the time. Even if we can't see it.
And my best friend's home was flooded. The lower level of their house was covered with water. But they're staying with her parents until they can repair the house. At first the insurance company told them they weren't covered with flood insurance. But they were able to find their policy info and called back. Praise the Lord they are covered and it has been filed. It'll be several months before it's all finished but they have a roof over their heads and a loving family who give more than they take in this world.
I think the important thing here is while possessions can be replaced, your friends and family can't. It may seem like a corny thing to say but absolutely appropriate.
One of their neighbors said there may have been some looting in the neighborhood, but they don't know for sure. I have a list now of prayer requests. The best thing I can do is pray. I can't provide shelter for a family in need. I can't do a lot of the manual labor because of the pregnancy. But I can buy a couple of bags of groceries. And I can pray. All day, every day.
As they say, "This too, shall pass..."
No comments:
Post a Comment