Sunday, December 19, 2010

he's here!

Another birth story to tell...

On December 13th around 10:50 pm, Loren and I left for the hospital.  I was scheduled to come in at midnight at Centennial to be induced.  On December 12th, Nashville got a TON of snow in a very short amount of time so the roads had been very icy but by Monday they were fine where we had to drive.

We got there around 11:30 and they went ahead and started getting the room set up and started the standard interview.  I got changed into the lovely gown and waited just a little while after that to get the pitocin drip.

I guess that happened around 1 am.  Loren got settled down on the pull out bed and I tried to get as comfortable as possible.  It was pretty difficult though because my back was hurting so badly.  I couldn't lay on my back (even propped up in the bed a little) because it's easier to read baby's heartrate when you're on your side and it's better for baby.

So while Loren snored away next to me, I basically just laid awake for a while.  I started having contractions but they weren't terribly painful.  And around 4:00, the nurse came in because they had lost Paxton on the monitor (which happened every 5 minutes it seemed).  She asked about my pain level, which wasn't bad at that point, but she said I could get the epidural any time. So I went ahead and said yes.  At 4:30, I had the epidural going.  I was dilating well.  And I finally got a couple hours of sleep.  Around 6 my other nurse came in to check me and thought I might be about 8cm.  She called Dr. Rodier who told her to slow down the pitocin so she could get there.  Evidently, she turned it off completely which caused my contractions to stop completely also.  When the day shift nurse came in and checked me around 7am, she told me she thought I was closer to between a 6 and 7 so they started it back up.  It was so frustrating because if the pitocin had been on the whole time, I would've had a much shorter labor.

Anyway, by the time Dr. Rodier got there I was closer to an 8 at that point.  She went next door to her office and saw patients as usual while I labored a little more.  My dad came a bit later and Rachel got there shortly after.  I had to get an oxygen mask on because Paxton's heartrate was dropping during contractions.  I had to do the same thing with Theona as well.  That was so annoying!  Trying to talk...and it was too big for my face which made it difficult.

So after laboring a couple of hours after Dr. Rodier checked me, I started to feel my legs really well and had a lot of control over them.  And I could feel a pressure in my rear like when I was in labor with Kaden.  I started to panic because I know how much it hurts to give birth without pain meds.  The nurse insisted that it was just the labor pressure and that I needed to feel that anyway to push.  The pain got worse and worse until I just couldn't handle it anymore.  I was crying and couldn't imagine having to go through delivery with no meds again.  Finally the nurse called the guy to come give me more meds.  He injected it directly into the line and I started feeling better within 10 minutes.  I could still feel the pressure, but the contractions weren't as bad.

I was definitely ready to push, but Dr. Rodier had a couple of patients waiting and wanted to get them out of there before she came over because after she delivered Paxton, she'd be leaving for lunch.  I'd say it was around 11 or so.  I was thinking 30 minutes max.  She called over to the hospital around 12 and told the nurses to get the room prepped and have me do a practice push.  Only thing was, the nurses didn't.  They ate their lunches instead.  Rachel and Loren had been checking in the hall every few minutes. 

So by the time Dr. Rodier got over there, the room wasn't ready and she was pretty ticked.  But as soon as they got it all ready to go, it was probably 1 pm...yes, 12 hours after the pitocin was started.  I did a practice push before she got suited up.  Then started the real pushing.  One big push...then she told me to push, but not full force.  I did.  She was telling Loren something, but I was concentrating pretty hard on pushing.  Then she told me to push a tiny push again and when I did, he was out!

Apparently, he had been face up (explaining my horrid back pain) and turned while IN the birth canal...which is what she was telling Loren.  And instead of coming out head, shoulder then other shoulder...he came out head...then both shoulders at once!  I did hear Dr. Rodier say, "I wish all my patients had that much room!"  Ha!

Then they kept going on and on about Paxton's "super" cord.  I guess it was larger than normal, so Paxton was getting tons of nutrients.  But I wasn't so concerned with all that.  I was looking over at my baby!  They announced his weight (7lbs 5oz) and I got to hold him.  I couldn't believe how tiny he was!  Only 6oz more than Theona when she was born.  And a whole 2lbs LESS than Kaden.

He was born at 1:08 pm on December 14th.  And even though it was my longest labor, he was totally healthy and I couldn't have asked God for more. :)

No comments: