When Loren started school, he wasn't working at all. Full time student was his occupation. Coming out of the army, he set up his VA disability benefits. After almost 10 years of service, he has a few things here and there that were affected by carrying the equipment around and being in a combat zone. He receives those benefits monthly. And when he first got out, he was collecting unemployment while waiting to find a job. He initially wanted to be a police officer. Obviously the timing wasn't right and it wasn't in God's will. So after a year of waiting for that job, he enrolled in college.
Don Mynster had told us about how Lipscomb was offering tuition assistance to veterans. He told us that back when Loren wasn't interested in going to school. But when it came down to it, he remembered that and applied to Lipscomb. On top of the tuition assistance there, Loren also has money from the army to go to school. Whatever Lipscomb doesn't cover, the army money covers the rest and we get the leftovers monthly. So all in all, he does get a "paycheck" And up until last June, he was still getting unemployment. So we were doing alright. The unemployment was covering rent. When that stopped, I thought for sure we would struggle.
And while we have made changes to how much we spend here and there along the way, we really haven't had a hard time. The way the school money works is Loren gets paid for being in school. So during the summer months, if he didn't enroll in classes, he wouldn't get paid. And for the first weeks of August when he hasn't started the semester yet, he doesn't get paid. So September's school pay is less than a 1/3 of what he normally gets.
And here we are in September...and I was beginning to wonder how we were going to pay our electric and water (both due tomorrow) and our phone bill, which was overdue from August 24th. When I wake up in the morning, I'll generally check my email while I'm still laying in bed. I did that this morning, as usual. And there was an email from Bank of America. I thought it would be a notice of insufficient funds or something. But when I opened up the email and saw that it said direct deposit, my heart jumped. It was a deposit from Lipscomb. I'm not sure what it's for, but that happens a lot. We get deposits from the school randomly.
The day before our utility bills are due. Less than 2 weeks before Theona's birthday. Jehovah Jireh: Genesis 22:14 And Abraham named that place The Lord Will Provide, so today it is said: "It will be provided on the Lord's mountain."
No comments:
Post a Comment