Thursday, September 8, 2011

once upon a Christmas time...

Well, it's that time of year when TDF begins rehearsals for the Christmas show.  This year, we're doing a version of A Christmas Carol.  I know what you must be thinking.  "A Christmas Carol...as a musical? And appropriate for a church to do?"  A church rewrote parts of the script and added music to make it more about Jesus being the reason for the season.  Although they did keep a lot of original dialogue from the Charles Dickens version.

Last year at this time I was preparing for one of the biggest roles I've ever had.  And on top of that, I was entering my 3rd trimester.  This year, I have a much more laid back responsibility to the show.  One scene of acting.  6 chorus songs. 

We had our first chorus rehearsal last night.  Nothing too involved.  Just listened to the songs.  There are several Christmas carols so most of that will be pretty familiar.  And we're doing assigned seating this year.  That's a HUGE change!  So if you want to see the show, be sure to buy your tickets as soon as you can.  They go on sale on Oct. 2nd, by the way...

I love that we're able to do shows like these.  They appeal to a wider audience and it gives us a better chance of reaching those who wouldn't ordinarily come see a church Christmas production. 

And it also gives people like me an incredible outlet for the need to sing and act!  I've been doing church and school productions since I was 5.  We did Pilgrim's Progress at TDF back in the day...that's my earliest memory of being on stage.  I think that was when I was 6 or 7.  I've never really thought of myself as that good at it.  But I sure do love doing it!  And I can't wait to get this show on the road!

No comments: