Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Historic Hymns Vs. Modern Praise & Worship

Wow, it's been a minute.  I haven't even logged into this blog in forever!  Years!  I had started to write about worship songs and what they mean to me.  I've said it to several friends and family before, but had never really written it down or posted about it publicly before...what I feel about worship songs of today vs. hymns of yesterday.  I'll go ahead and say, for the record right now, I love both forms of worship.  Those old hymns will never lose their meaning to me.  I grew up singing them and memorizing them from hymnals.  I also listened to Christian radio growing up and learned a lot of the contemporary songs.  Both offer a way for me to worship my God.  And I also want to say, for the record, I don't think there's only one way to worship through song. 

I've seen a lot of criticism lately about how church's are abandoning hymns in favor of the modern worship songs.  How the members aren't able to connect with the new songs.  How they feel the worship leaders are failing them by not singing any hymns.  Don't get me wrong.  I do feel like hymns are an important part of the church's history and they are still valuable today.  I still listen to and sing hymns at home.  My favorite "church song" is The Love of God.  Lyrics SO rich, I cry when I sing them. And a lot of hymns are that way...lyrically beautiful and deep. 

I read Letters to the Church by Francis Chan with my bible study a little while back and one of the main themes of that book is that personal preference hinders a believer from having a complete connection with God.  What we prefer might be biblical as well, but what is biblical may not always line up with what we prefer.  And in my opinion, hymns while meaningful and sweet, aren't necessarily all straight from scripture.  I'm not saying they go against scripture, but the writers of some of these hymns use their own creativity (a trait which God gave to them) to paint a word picture. 

It's the same with modern worship songs.  For instance, at my church we sing a song called Goodness of God.  Here are the lyrics for reference:

I love You Lord
Oh Your mercy never fails me
All my days
I’ve been held in Your hands
From the moment that I wake up
Until I lay my head
I will sing of the goodness of God


All my life You have been faithful
All my life You have been so, so good
With every breath that I am able
I will sing of the goodness of God



I love Your voice
You have led me through the fire
In darkest nightsYou are close like no other

I’ve known You as a father
I’ve known You as a friend
I have lived in the goodness of God
Your goodness is running after, it’s running after me
Your goodness is running after, it’s running after me
With my life laid down, I’m surrendered now, I give You everything
Your goodness is running after, it’s running after me
All my life You have been faithful
All my life You have been so, so good
With every breath that I am able
I will sing of the goodness of God
It's somewhat new to my church.  It was introduced within the last year.  It may not include direct lines from scripture.  It may not have a 4 verse format with no repeating chorus.  But it is a precious song to worship God with.  Another book my bible study went through was Kay Arthur's Lord I Want to Know You.  It's a study on God's names. (I can't recommend this book enough!) We learned some Hebrew names and what they mean, along with passages of scripture to back it up.  So I looked at the lyrics to Goodness of God and here's what I know...
El Shaddai - All-Sufficient One... He pours into us..."I've been held in Your hands.  From the moment that I wake up, until I lay my head, I will sing of the goodness of God."
Jehovah Nissi - The Lord is My Banner... In battle, we raise His banner... "You have led me through the fire.  In darkest nights, You are close like no other."
Jehovah Raah - The Lord is My Shepherd... He cares for us so perfectly and seeks us out when we wander... "You're goodness is running after, it's running after me."
It may not be a perfect analogy for some, but when I sing this song, I can see so clearly those aspects of who God is.  And it makes my worship more intentional.  Now, I may be a little biased because I'm on the worship team at my church.  A ministry I have poured my heart into for the last 15 years of my life.  A lot has changed over those years.  The paint color on the stage.  The lighting.  The stage set up.  The team itself.  But one thing that has been constant is God. He hasn't changed anything about who He is.  He is the same God I can sing "O love of God, how rich and pure.  How measureless and strong.  It shall forevermore endure the saints' and angels' song." to and He will accept that praise just as much as me singing about His goodness when my worship is genuine.
I could go on and on about His names and modern worship songs that highlight those characteristics of God.  But I'll just end this by saying I don't think He requires us to continue to sing songs that were written decades ago...and only those songs.  Why else would He bestow the gift of song writing on people living today? 

No comments: