Sunday, May 31, 2020

One day...

I feel so fortunate. When Loren and I knew that we wanted the kids to go to DuPont Hadley for middle school, I put Kaden and Paxton’s names in the lottery for Andrew Jackson School so they could move up to 5th grade with a good core group of friends.  That’s such a big part of making the transition to middle school easier.

They both got in, and the first year they were there was also the first year for their music teacher. Franklin Willis. His teaching methods are stellar. His musicianship is amazing.  His song writing skills are superb.  He started the Eagle Honor Choir, and I knew it would be an amazing experience for Kaden!

Countless opportunities to perform popped up. In part, because the choir was fantastic!  But really, Franklin is the magic. When he left AJS to accept a job working with music teachers across MNPS, I thought, “Well, at least Kaden had a great two years with that choir and Mr. Willis.”  But I was so bummed that Kaden would be moving up to 5th grade without his choir director and Franklin wouldn’t be Paxton’s music teacher for two more years.  Then he decided to put a community choir together.

Last December, he held auditions and Kaden got in!  They started rehearsals in January and performed in February for the Black History Month Memorial Service at The Hermitage. They sang three songs and nailed each one. In particular, the song linked below was very powerful and moving. So I wanted to highlight that in this blog. It was originally written for the film Selma by Common and John Legend. Franklin wrote a different rap that was suited to the occasion.

At the beginning of the song, the kids are marching. The sound of their feet rhythmically hitting the floor stirs up images of rallies and protests and the march that Dr. King led. As you watch, I hope you  can feel the solidarity of this choir. A group of diverse children from all different backgrounds who support one another.



Glory - performed by Voices of Vision Choir

No comments: