Homeschooling Theona is harder than I imagined. I've always tried to help her learn since she was a baby. But in a "classroom" setting, it's a bit different. My patience has definitely been tested this week. But she's getting better and better everyday.
The biggest obstacle for her will be remembering everything. She grasps things quickly so easily but when it comes to review...she lags behind.
And she doesn't like that she can't play with Kaden during her 4 hours of school time. I have to keep reminding her that if she went to a public school, she wouldn't see Kaden all day.
We're settling in to a routine finally. On the second day, I decided to document our time by each subject we did and how long it took us. That seems to be working really well. We don't stay on any one thing for too long. We've gone to the library twice this week and we'll have to go back on Monday so we can get some new books.
In addition to her basic subjects, we're doing memory verses too. She's really amazing. I barely had to explain the idea that each verse has an "address" before she understood. I love hearing her say "Proberbs Free:Five"
It's a huge victory for her every time she remembers a verse or how to write each letter of the alphabet. And I love that she's enthusiastic about learning. But I can tell you what! I'm so glad I get two days off!! I don't know that I could be a teacher, for kindergarten anyway. I completely admire people like Carrie and Jenny who have a passion for that grade and age group.
I get enough of that for 1 hour each week during Preschool choir.
I'm already looking forward to next school year when Theona will be in school for 1st grade. She needs that social environment, and a stern work environment. This, I have learned in 4 days.
But I don't think I'll ever regret doing this for her.
Let's just hope our second week goes as well!
No comments:
Post a Comment