Thursday, July 22, 2010

pregnancy. exciting? scary? both!

No matter how many times you go through it, pregnancy is both exciting and scary all at once.  I've been so blessed to have had some fairly uneventful pregnancies.  No morning sickness ever.  Not even once.  No complications with me or the baby.  I was a little worried about gestational diabetes because my sister had it while she was pregnant with my neice.  And diabetes runs in my family anyway.  My dad was just diagnosed several months ago, and my uncle has it.  My granny had it too.  And my great grandmother had it on my mom's side.  I'm still praying I don't have it with this pregnancy, but I'm not too terribly worried.

When I was pregnant with Kaden, I had to have my appointments at the hospital on post.  Because of the location and size of the hospital, parking was always a challenge.  I usually had to park in the last rows, then had to walk all the way in.  They would take my blood pressure almost as soon as I got there.  It would usually be high unless they were running behind and couldn't take it right away.  They thought it was a problem with me, but I was like, "Um...I just walked a quarter of a mile to get in here.  I'm thinking it's gonna be a little high."

Anyway, I haven't had any huge issues.  My best friend had to have a c-section because Evie was in the transverse position and had the cord wrapped around her neck 4 times.  Another friend had her baby almost 3 months premature.  Not to mention all of the friends I have that have suffered miscarriages.  Having one is hard no matter how far along you are.  And even though I was only 5 weeks along when I had mine, it was definitely a shock.   It seems like having a complicated pregnancy and just the knowledge of the fragility would be a challenge.

Not being able to see a doctor until I was already halfway through my 14th week was excruciating!  Not knowing if there was anything wrong, if the baby was developing correctly or not...so tough.  I had experienced some spotting early on during different days, weeks apart, so I was really nervous.

And no one can predict how their pregnancy will end.  Whether it's on the due date, early, being induced, c-section, 5 days late..*Kaden*...  But I'm so confident in the nurses.  I haven't even met the nurses who will be there when I deliver (although I know a couple of nurses that work in the labor and delivery unit, just don't know if they'll be on duty then), but I know they will do amazing work.  If I could handle working in a hospital or doctor's office, I totally would've gone to school for nursing. 

Not only that, but I know God has a plan for this baby.  And whatever happens is meant to happen.  At the end of the day, this baby is a miracle and it can't be anything but exciting to experience it first hand!

No comments: