So far the biggest struggle I've had with Paxton is sleep. But in the last several days, I've been working hard to set a routine with him. For his day naps, I've simply put him in my room, in the pack n play while he's still awake. He may fuss for a few minutes, but then he's out like a light. I have a sound machine in there so I can drown out some of the noise the rest of us make.
The evenings are probably the most time consuming because he stays awake. That's actually a good thing though because it helps wear him out once I put him down for the night. And for the past several nights, he's only woken up once around 2 or 3. I try to get to bed at 10 so that's a good first stretch. It usually takes at least an hour and sometimes two to get him back to sleep after that, but then he'll sleep until 6 or 7. And then I can feed him again and put him back down, even if he's awake. He may fuss, but it doesn't last long and I get another hour or so out of him.
He eats a ton and we're trying to curb that. He'll eat up to 6 ounces in one feeding every 3 - 4 hours. But he's not spitting up a whole lot so it's okay. Infants can't over eat and if they do, they'll spit up. Nature's way of letting parents know they can cut back. We usually try to burp him after every 1 - 2 ounces which I think is why he doesn't spit up a lot. I had that problem with Kaden. He'd eat and eat and never burp no matter how often I tried. Then he'd spit up. But once we put him on a sensitive formula, he was fine.
I think he's sleeping better at night now than he was because I'm letting him eat more. Loren is more of a "by the book" kind of guy and doesn't want to feed him more than 4 oz at a time. But he thinks rules for babies are concrete and can't be tweaked every now and then. I'm trying to help him see that every baby is different so you may have to try different methods with each one.
So *knock on wood* it looks like we can get used to only having to get up once a night for feedings!
No comments:
Post a Comment