It's surreal. Getting ready to make a trip to Georgia and knowing it'll be the last visit with Poppy there. I don't like it. I just made a trip like this to St. Louis. Except Granny had already passed on.
We did have a wonderful couple of days there with my dad's side of the family and I'm grateful for the time to be with them.
I'm not looking forward to the tears. I know they will be plenty. My grandparents are completely and utterly a part of my being. I think of them everytime I have to make a big decision. What they would think about it. How they would decide.
I'm leaving on Monday. With my sister, niece and the kids. Loren has to stay home a few extra days because he has to wait for his check to come in so he can put it in the bank. He'll be riding with my brother. They'll have a rental since my brother's car is going in the shop on Tuesday.
My dad is being really cool about it all too. Very supportive. He definitely encouraged Adam and I to visit Grandma and Poppy back in January. It's nice to know that even after divorce, my family can still feel whole to me somehow.
Now more than ever I want to have my camera there with me. Taking pictures of the family. All of us will finally be together all at once! That hasn't happened in ages. With my cousin being in the Air Force, it was hard for him to get home when Amy or I visited.
Unfortunate circumstances for us to all be there, but we can try to celebrate Poppy's life.
He's requested a military funeral. He was in the Air Force too. I think it'll be really special.
Well, back to the grind...I still have to get a load of laundry out of the dryer so I can put another one in...
No comments:
Post a Comment