I had my 20 week appointment today. Loren and the kids came with me so that he could hear the heartbeat for the first time. They were running behind though. My appointment was at 11, but we were still in the waiting room at 12. Needless to say, Kaden was very restless. He was hungry and tired and too confined in the waiting room. We finally got called back around 12:15. I peed in the cup as usual and weighed myself. I still haven't really gained anything. Yay! We got in the room and the nurse came in just a minute later. She took my blood pressure and we heard the heartbeat. Loren took the kids back to the van so that Kaden could get loud if he needed to. I waited another 20 minutes or so and Dr. Rodier came in.
She told me she was going to check me at each appointment to make sure I wasn't dilating without knowing it. It's a relief knowing that I'll know what's going on down there! She didn't actually check for dilation, just the outer portion of my cervix. Which, she said, is already softening. But she also said it's fairly normal for someone who's had multiple pregnancies. She measured my uterus as well. I'm at 26cm, which would be crazy if it were my first pregnancy, but again, she said with multiple pregnancies it's pretty normal. Usually you measure at whatever week you are.
Then we talked about scheduling the ultrasound and a normal appointment for 8 weeks from now. I was able to set the u/s for my birthday next Thursday! I already had an appointment for 24 weeks, and my 28 week appointment is for Oct. 6th. I'll be at the beginning of my 3rd trimester then! Two appointments from now. Wild! This pregnancy is flying by!
In between there, I have to do my glucose test. Bleh! Not the most pleasant appointment, but very important to know whether or not you have gestational diabetes. I'm really hoping I don't. My sister had it. And diabetes runs in my family on both sides. My maternal great-grandmother had it. My paternal grandmother had it. My dad's brother has it. And my dad has it. As long as I watch my diet, I think I'll be okay. I've been doing pretty well. Lots of dairy, fruits, protein. I need more veggies, I think. But beyond that, I'm okay.
This next 7 days is going to DRRRRAAAAAGGGG on...I just know it! The u/s is set for 10 am...I'll probably get up at 7:45 that morning. And I'll try to exhaust myself the day before so that I sleep really well. AH!
No comments:
Post a Comment