Wednesday, April 9, 2008

long time no blog

Well, as Jessica pointed out, I haven't written a blog on here in a while...I didn't even realize it! I've done quite a few through Myspace. The only problem is...I don't really have anything to blog about at this point!

Let's see...
My brother is in town this week for his spring break. Today was the first day I got to see him. I went down to my dad's after lunch. Adam and I hung out for a few hours and then we got dinner before church. I had to be there early to practice with Chad because we're singing for special music on Sunday.

While I was at my dad's house, I saw that he had a Rent program on his table, and a ticket. It turns out that he went to see Rent the same day Rachel and I did! So weird to picture my dad at a broadway show. Especially one like Rent! But he liked it a lot.

What else...

Oh, I got to talk to Loren on the phone on Tuesday. And he emailed me today. We've had a lot of communication, considering he just got there. I can already tell that this deployment is going to be really different than the other two. Iraq was such a trying place to be in, and it was so crazy and hectic the first time. He was there when the war started...the actual combat. He was there for 5 1/2 months. He was supposed to have been out of the military during the 4th month he was there, so they sent him home early. I got to talk to him on the phone all of about 5 times. And I got maybe 2 or 3 emails from him. And about 20 letters.

The second time was a lot better as far as phone calls. But it was still far between when I heard from him. This time I've already talked to him twice in two weeks. They have a cell phone over there and they can buy minutes for it, sort of like the pre-paid plans. So he and his friend, Jason, are going to split the cost of the minutes. But he told me in an email today that they have to pay for minutes on the computer too...I think he said it was $4 an hour. How retarded is that!?! They have to keep the morale up for those guys and making them pay for their time on the computer is so lame.

But I feel good about his morale. His friend is a really great guy. He and his family are christians and we've hung out with them a few times so it's good to know he has someone there to keep his spirits up. And he can keep Jason's up. Even though this may be the longest deployment for him, I think this one will be the most pleasant. Or I guess I should say, the least uncomfortable.

Well, I guess this blog turned out okay...

No comments: