September 20th, 2004. It was a really pretty, sunny day. Last day of the summer. Loren and I drove to the hospital with my mom very early that morning. I was being induced 2 weeks early because my doctor just plain rocks. We got settled in the room and I got hooked up to the IV. The nurse came in and asked all the standard questions. Once they got all my info updated in the system, they started the labor inducing drug, Pitocin. We chatted for a bit, I napped a bit. Contractions got stronger. I was ready for the epidural around 10 am. Doctor Rodier was supposed to be there to break my water around 8:30 or 9, but got stuck in rush hour AND construction traffic on 440.
Once the epidural was in, I was VERY calm and relaxed. Doctor Rodier got there finally around 10:30 and broke my water for me. Then she went next door to her office to see her patients. More family came to hang out with me in the delivery room. I dosed on and off for a couple of hours or so. They ended up having to put an oxygen mask on me because Theona wasn't getting enough. Besides that, everything about the labor went smoothly.
Around 1pm, I got checked. I was 10 centimeters! From 5am that day to 1pm, I had gone from 2 to 10. Pretty awesome. They called the doctor over at her office to let her know I'd be ready to push soon. Once she was able to make it over (about 45 minutes later) I was able to start pushing. Ten minutes later, Theona Grace was born. 1:55pm, 6lbs 14oz, 19 3/4 inches long.
She only cried a little until they were able to get her swaddled. After they handed her to me, she just looked at me. It was the sweetest moment of my life.
It's 6 years later. We've had more tears since then, but she has been such a joy to my life! She is so smart and funny and sweet. She loves playing with kids her age, but she's also just as comfortable being with the adults. And she's a great big sister! Good grief, in 6 more years she'll be a pre-teen!! Scary thought. But for now, we're just enjoying her childhood and trying to make it an amazing experience for her. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment