Monday, September 13, 2010

not quite prepared

Yesterday, I'm sitting in the first service at church and I felt a wet spot on my shirt.  I had just taken a drink of water so I thought maybe some had slopped out onto my shirt.  I took a second look, and...nope...that's not water...that's colostrum.  25 weeks along, and I'm already leaking.  No clue what brought it on.  Usually some women will start to leak if they see or hear a baby...or if they even THINK about their baby.  But nope, not me.  I just leak.  That was the problem with Theona.  I had an overabundance of milk production so when she went to nurse, she was always choking because it was coming too fast for her to drink it. 

And with Kaden, poor guy, he never even had a chance.  He was just the tiniest bit jaundiced and the hospital was going to re-admit him if his number didn't go down at his 2 day appointment (at the military hospital they have you come back 2 days after you go home).  So they said I could supplement with formula.  At that point, he wouldn't latch on.  We tried a nipple shield.  And I even tried pumping, but my milk didn't come in soon enough.  So he didn't get all the benefits of the breast, but he's still a little champ!

I'm really hoping to be able to take the time I need to breast feed this little guy.  I started leaking colostrum early with every pregnancy so I'm not in the least bit surprised.  But it was a bummer having that happen in the middle of church.  Luckily it had dried enough that it wasn't noticeable by the time the second service started.  And I also already have nursing pads so when I got home I was able to throw a couple in and forget all about it.  I ended up just putting toilet paper in my bra at church.  Oh the things we go through...

Now I have 6 pads safely tucked away in my purse.  I'm not looking forward to leaking for the rest of the pregnancy and then some...I have at least 13 weeks or so if I go in 2 weeks early.  But the end result is so worth it!

No comments: