Monday, August 22, 2011

God's crisis check list

I certainly didn't think when I woke up on Kaden's birthday that I'd be receiving a call about a tragedy.  And when my dad told me that my Aunt Kay had died in a car accident, I almost couldn't believe it.  The rest of that day was very surreal.  I didn't have many details on what had happened.  A sort of movie played in my mind all day.  Different scenarios of how it played out.  One thing I did know was that my Uncle Kent's pastor was the one who broke the news to him.  That was a comforting thought. 

Aunt Charolette called tonight to tell me about their visit to Arkansas.  She told me about the visitation and how there was a constant flow of people for 2 hours.  And how there was standing room only at the funeral service.  Then she started telling me about the accident itself.  They had been able to gather more details once they got there.

The first person to come upon the accident was the pastor of First Baptist Church of Ozark.  #1 on God's crisis check list.  He had actually seen the accident happen.  He called 911.  Then ran to her car.  When he looked in, she was already unconcious.  God knew Uncle Kent and the rest of the family would need the comfort of knowing she wasn't alive when the car caught on fire.  And though it wasn't said, I'm sure he prayed for her.

When the highway patrol got there, they found her wallet and cell phone on the road.  The car flipped several times and caught on fire before they could get there.  But her wallet and cell phone were unharmed.  #2 on God's crisis check list.

After checking her ID, they looked in her phone to see if she had emergency numbers.  They saw a number listed for a Brother Jim (her pastor) and called him first.  Once they had talked with him and gave him a few details, Brother Jim called Uncle Kent.  He was able to sensitively relay the information to him.    #3 on God's crisis check list. 

When something like this happens.  Something so violent and tragic.  God has a way of working things together for good.  And as devastating as this is, Uncle Kent's faith is strong enough to keep him from waivering.  And he's in no shortage of prayer either.  Over the weekend, he said he used to say Aunt Kay was popular because of him.  But he knew it was the other way around.  It's a great big mystery, but God's ways are perfect.


No comments: