Monday, August 15, 2011

Kaden's birth day

August 16th 2008

The day Kaden was born.  I woke up early in the morning.  6 am.  The sun wasn't even peeking out yet.  I had to call the hospital to make sure they had an opening for me.  I was 5 days over due and was going in to be induced.  We were living on post at Ft. Campbell, so we had to go to that hospital.  Probably my last choice...I wouldn't have even minded a home birth after that experience. 

They told me I could come in at 7.  By the time we got there the sun had come out and it was really a gorgeous day.  The nurses were all sweet and did their jobs well.  As soon as I got there, they hooked me up to an iv of just fluids.  And my contractions started.  Yeah...that's right.  I hadn't been having any until that point.  My water was broken around 8 and that just kicked off labor.  I was able to get up and walk around and gravity take over. 

The part I get most tickled about is the fact that the Olympics were going on and that's what we watched while I was in labor.  I was in my own Olympics.  And I got the best golden-haired medal for all my hard work!

One thing that was definitely an advantage was getting the epidural line in before I was having any real consistent contractions. The disadvantage to that is having to test it to make sure it was in the correct place.  I had to lay in bed during that test and wait for the numbness to wear off so I could get back up and walk around again.  And I'm pretty sure it slowed my labor WAY down.  But soon enough I was back on track and really starting to feel them.  So when it was time for the medication again, all they had to do was push some buttons and get it going again.

We watched more of the games while I relaxed.  I didn't really sleep because it was so bright in the room.  The sun was brilliant.  And I was more than happy to enjoy it.  Around 3 pm, I started feeling some pain in my thighs and pressure in my tailbone.  I told Loren and Rachel and then the nurse.  She said the epidural medicine had run its course and I could get more once the anesthesiologist made his way back in there.  I was comforted a little by that, but as the pain got worse, I wasn't thinking nice thoughts!  The pressure was so intense and I couldn't believe other people went through labor like that by choice!  Maybe I'm a wimp.  Maybe I'm just someone who doesn't like pain.  I'd much rather enjoy the labor.

So as the pain became more intense, I gripped the bed rails and prayed that it'd be over soon.  The nurse came back in a few minutes later to tell me the anesthesiologist was in an emergency c-section and wouldn't be able to get back in before it was time for me to push.  As I let that information sink in, I just cried.  I knew Kaden wasn't going to be a 6 pounder like Theona considering I was 5 days over.  If you've never been in labor, you can't describe the kind of pain you experience.

45 minutes from the time I told the nurse I was feeling pain, I was ready to push.  I was torn between wanting to push, and wanting to lock my legs shut!  The nurse kept telling me that I'd feel so much better once I pushed.  So I reluctantly braced myself to start pushing.  Loren and Rachel were both there, holding my hand and leg while the nurse held up my other leg.  A midwife came in, one I'd never met, and started talking me through it.  So I'm trying to breathe and push at the same and it's really hard to concentrate on both because the pain is so intense.   

I never pictured myself being a screamer during labor...but I was definitely close.  And the midwife was just standing there.  Telling me not to scream because I'd scare the baby.  If she had been standing close enough, I would've probably kicked her!  I actually had to visualize pushing him out.  Seeing him for the first time and holding him.

So I mustered up all the energy I had and pushed a couple of really good pushes.  And as he was crowning, the midwife said, "He's got red hair!"  I was so confused at that point because I couldn't believe she was talking about MY child.  Then she said, "Reach down there and pull him out."  And I'm thinking, "Do I have to do ALL the work here?!"

And at 4:04 pm, she helped lift him up so I could grab him at the last minute and pull him up to my chest.  And she was right.  He did have light auburn hair and I was shocked!  And I could really tell how big he was.  But I was anxious to find out his weight.  So they took him, cleaned him up and got him on the scale.  Loren took a picture of him there with his weight showing.  9 lbs 5 oz!!!  And I was so relieved to have him out!!  After he had been bathed, his hair looked more strawberry blond.  And he was the most precious baby boy I had ever seen. 

Looking back at it now, I can see how strong I was.  I can almost look on it fondly.  Almost.  And I think I'd be prepared if I ever had to have a home birth if it came to that. 

No comments: