Wednesday, March 12, 2008

baby talking

It’s a feeling that is very hard to describe, when your unborn child kicks or punches you. I’ve been feeling Kaden more and more today. It’s so reassuring. It’s comforting. I wish I could explain what it feels like.

And as he grows it’s going to get more intense.

It’s like the baby is saying, "Hey there, I’m here...just letting you know." And then they start playing the kicking games. You poke, they kick you back. You get so anxious waiting for that first good kick. A lot of the earlier movement you feel is digestion or gas. You can’t be sure that what you’re feeling is the baby.

But now, as I feel these movements, I know it’s Kaden. Letting me know he’s there. Just another confirmation that there’s definitely a baby in there. And after a miscarriage, I need every reassurance. In the late 3rd trimester, sometimes it’s down right painful to feel them moving, but as they move less and less with their "house" closing in on them, you cherish every painful punch or kick in the ribs or bladder.

I have 22 weeks left. Almost halfway through!

I’m still surprised at how excited I am about having a boy. Loren and I had gone back and forth with the names Korbin and Kaden. His choice was Korbin, which he suggested in the first place. He didn’t care for Kaden, but I think it was because it wasn’t his idea. As soon as we found out it was a boy, Loren said, "Kaden is going to be great!" So I knew he was okay with it then. And you know what? I feel like that’s the name he is meant to have. I love that I’m passing on the name Christopher from my cousin too. We were extremely close growing up, so it’s nice to be able to pay tribute to him. And Kaden is unique, but not unheard of.

Rachel was mentioning that her coworker’s nephew is Kaden. And his brother is Aiden, which I love, but Loren’s nephew is Aiden, so we didn’t want to use it.

And the funny thing is, I found Kaden so randomly. I was actually looking up the meaning of Korbin, got to the K page and saw Kaden near the top. It really jumped out of me. I know it’s meant to be. I didn’t feel that way about using Theona until she was born.

I don’t mind admitting that either. It’s a big decision when you’re naming a child. My name may be one of the most common names in the world, but it’s me. It fits me. So you have to make sure that when you name a child, it’s who they are.

Amy told me once about a girl named Female. Pronounced Fe-MALL-ee. The parents saw it on the baby’s bin in the nursery of the hospital and thought they had named her already, so they kept it. Yikes! She also mentioned a girl named Abcde. Pronounced Ab-sid-ee. What exactly were they thinking?
I am just so happy about the name Kaden. Can you tell? That’s a good thing though.

1 comment:

Rachel Norris said...

you are a great mom...and someday if you decide to go for it...you will be a great counselor/social worker

you had to go astray in order to find your true passion...

sometimes the darkest part of our lives give light to where we are meant to be