Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Family Fun Nights and other such things

I have a group of friends. They are amazing.

Well, first I should say that I have a big group of friends, all of whom are amazing. There are several small groups within this large assortment.

One group, we refer to ourselves as the FFNers...

Almost every Sunday and Wednesday after church, the kids and I go over to Mark and Rae Cowart's house. Theona and Mary just love each other and Cora, for that matter, loves Theona. So they get to play and I get to play.

We used to play Yahtzee almost every time, but since Caleb's birth, we just chill. We talk or watch Frazier on DVD...and on Wednesdays it's Lost.

I guess I started going at the beginning of October. It's been so great having this routine with them. Anything like that helps make the time seem to go faster.

Same with Bunco. It's like every Bunco night is one month closer to Loren's homecoming. Family Fun Night is just so laid back. I've gotten to know William and Laura better. And Wade and Jessica Klug. And Katie Peterson. Jessica invited her a while back, before I started going. And she is just a riot! And small world...William's friend Nate who has come to church several times, we went to high school together although we didn't know each other at the time. And Deborah. I just love Deborah. We roomed together at the retreat last year and I feel a bond with her.

And the kids...

I just love that they get to spend all that time together. Lots of playing without any fighting. Like with Theona and CJ, it's just very natural.

Mark and Rae have been through a lot together and I think being their friend makes me a part of their lives and them, a part of mine. You can have friendships that are just very casual and every once in a while. And then you can have friendships that are lasting. I'm lucky to have several friendships like that. Even with Brittany. We may not have ever been extremely close. But we have a connection in "cyberland":). And grew up together and have that military connection. And I can't wait until she moves closer!!

I'm just so fortunate to have all these people in my life.

"From the fullness of His love, we have all received one blessing after another."

3 comments:

TheBookKnerd said...

Youre so sweet! I'm glad we have had facebook, myspace and blogs to become closer too! You have helped more than you know with our 'getting out' decision. You're a great friend!

PS... military balls are lame. :) i dont go :) you pay a buttload of money on dresses, hair and tickets to go and do absolutely nothing. i dont have many navy wife friends...they are shady!

Amanda Marie said...

Right on, sistah!! I didn't ever want to go to the ball. But I think Loren does. As his last "I'm stuck to the military thing." So if I go at all, it'll be for him. But I'm hoping I can help him see the error of his ways ;)

Jessica Polston said...

It's so wonderful to have different groups of friends that can bring so much to your life in different ways. I am blessed to be in one of your group of friends! Love u!