Thursday, February 12, 2009

my poor Ruby

The car is dead. I killed it. I kept putting off an oil change. And low and behold...that is what locked up the engine.

So I was on my way to church last night. I had to be there at 6:15 for praise team practice. I hate being late to things so I'm usually the first one there and I'm sometimes absurdly early.

But yesterday was not a great day. I left on time, no problem. But the exit I usually take to get on the interstate was backed up so far past the on-ramp that I thought I'd better get to a different exit.

So I drove through Clarksville. My first big mistake. Then I took the road that leads to an exit just inside Tennessee. My second big mistake because there was a traffic light out half way down this very long road that normally would've taken me 5 minutes to get down, but instead took me 30 minutes.

So I finally get on the interstate. Things are going well. I come up to someone in the left lane who is going just a little faster than the person in the right lane and won't get over. So the truck lane comes up...there are a few of these between Fort Campbell and Nashville. It's so nice because most of 24, west of Nashville, is only two lanes. So when these little blessings come up, I try to get around any obnoxiously slow people.

So I get over to the truck lane and gun it. My third HUMONGOUS mistake. The engine locked up...I couldn't get the car going over 60 miles an hour. I pulled over to the side of the road before the car started to slow. I got right past an exit so it would be easy to find when I called someone.

That someone being my dad. He has really come through for me in the past few years. After my parents got divorced, it was sometimes hard for me to count on him. But he is such a good man and I admire him in so many ways.

So I called. He was home....THANK YOU LORD! Actually, I should back up. I started praying first before I called my dad.

So he came out to me. We tried several things to get the car going. No luck though. So the kids were fine. Kaden got a little fussy from having to be in the car for so long.

I called Neal's dad to see if he could suggest something for us to try with the car, but he didn't really know off hand what could be wrong so he and Neal's mom called AAA and came out to meet us. They get free tows with AAA so once they got there, and the tow truck...we had it towed to Joel's...a place in Hendersonville that they use all the time.

Joel checked it out today and gave us the tragic news that the Taurus is dead. He didn't charge for the diagnostic. He's not charging to have it towed to the junk yard.

I went over to my sister's last night and stayed. This morning I rented a car. Money was tight though so my dad came through, yet again.

I wouldn't have even had to rent a car except for the fact that I had to get formula for Kaden, changes of clothes for us, Kaden's bed (he was a champ last night sleeping in the bed with me) and so many other things that come along with having kids. So renting a car was the best way. I'll be taking it back tomorrow though because of my amazing Life Group leaders. Larry and Kristi are letting me borrow their "spare" car for the next few weeks.

All in all, I'd say I was showered with blessings and had angels around me the whole time. We'll have to get a new (used) car, but I won't have to worry about it until Loren gets home.

I just feel awful about it. I could've prevented it. An oil change...I mean...COME ON!! Just one thing I didn't even think about. Loren usually handles all that kind of stuff. Throw some bills at me, I'll get 'em paid. Give me two kids with only two hands to deal with them...I'll get them raised. But leave the car to me...not such a good idea.

I hate that Loren has to have this handed to him when he gets home. As a wife of a deployed soldier, you want to be able to take it all on without any hassle. But sometimes a wrench gets thrown in and you just have to deal with it.

I feel okay about the whole situation at least. Worrying won't help me at all so I'm trying to just keep doing...whatever needs to be done.

No comments: