Loren called this morning. Mostly to ask me what I thought about him re-enlisting to be a recruiter. Again.
See, when they finally promoted him, they pounced. Asking if he'd re-enlist while he was overseas because they give you a bonus, tax-free, in a lump sum. Tempting to any soldier, single or married.
He called to see what I thought then too. My answer...a resounding NO. I know the army. I know how they work. They give empty promises and try to make it look as inviting as possible. They ask the world of a soldier and in return give them peanuts.
Well, being a recruiter would have it's advantages. Job security is probably the main thing. Being in one location all the time. A weekday job.
But the location is the big question mark. Where would they station him? How would we know for sure that it'd be Nashville?
Well, when he called today he asked basically, in not so many words, if he could go ahead and sign the papers now or wait until he's home so that we could all sit down and talk about it.
I said I'd rather he not sign anything with the army every again, aside from his papers to get out. But that if he were seriously thinking about this that I'd want to sit down and talk about it.
He said that he would get letters of recommendation from all over the south-east and that he wouldn't be stationed anywhere else in the US. But that he'd have to get a letter from the Nashville office too. So it's not guaranteed that he would be stationed there. AHHH!! Then, as if to make me feel better about it, he says that even if it's not in Nashville, it's all close enough to visit family every once in a while.
Now he knows me. He definitely knows me well enough to know that I don't want to move anywhere outside of Nashville. I love it. I grew up in Nashville. I lived away from Nashville for a year in Athens, GA and RAN back to Nashville as soon as I could. So it's not like I've never lived anywhere else. Well, we did live in Memphis the summer I turned 6, but my dad was able to get a job back in Nashville so we moved back. And I lived at MTSU for a year and a half. But that's still close enough.
I just wish they would back off. Back off, you evil army temptresses!!
I want control over my life. I know I should just trust God in this. I should really think about it before I dismiss it completely. But I have been through too much in the last 6 years to just give up the right to have a normal life. Loren says he wants us to have a good down payment for a house. He wants us to have monetary security when he comes home. He wants us to all be happy. Well, it's true that money can't buy you happiness and it's also true that without money you can be miserable. So where to we fall? I'd be happy to have the same financial situation as we have now once he gets out. He wants to be a cop. He HAS to be accepted into the academy because he's a veteran. He already has his packet almost 100% ready to turn in. He'd actually be making more in the academy than he did in the army. And after 6 months, he would get a raise.
He still has until June in the army to make sure he gets hired before he's out. I don't care about a lump sum, tax-free bonus. Money is fleeting. Being able to put a HUGE down payment on a house is not worth having my husband under the government's thumb. Maybe if he'd been treated better than he has been for the past 9 years, we'd be singing a different tune. Maybe if they would have promoted him 4 years ago. Maybe if they hadn't moved us into this atrocious house. But it's too late for the army.
They've had their chances and they've blown them. I want a divorce! From the army, that is. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment