Friday, February 20, 2009

I believe

I have always liked watching movies and shows about the paranormal. When we were little kids, my sister, cousin and I started watching a couple of movies everytime we visited my grandparents. The Haunting was one of them. It was made in the 1950s. Black and white. Not a WHOLE lot of special effects. But man did it scare the pee out of me! And we still watch it today. I even have it on DVD! They remade it in the 90s with sort of a different story line and it was CHEESY!!

Anyway, I've always loved that stuff!

Scary stories and ghosts.

I think I do believe in spirits and "energies". I watch Paranormal State on A&E. Ryan is the director and creator of the Paranormal Research Society at Penn State. He has long since graduated, but he still runs it. He and his team go around the US investigating claims of paranormal activity.

Some of the things they've documented are compelling. And I've had my own small experience.

A few years ago, when Loren was in the army the first time, a bunch of us went to this place in Clarksville (just outdoors) that is supposed to be haunted. There's a legend about a slave who fell in love with the plantation owner's daughter and she got pregnant. Well, he was hanged. And it's said that he wanders the fields looking for his baby.

So we all went out to this dead end road (which happens to be right next to a cemetary) and parked the car. We had a fetal monitor with us, hooked up to a hand held recorder. It's a rinky dink thing that you can kind of hear your baby's heartbeat with while you're pregnant. I was able to use it a few times when I was pregnant with Theona. This one belonged to Loren's friend and his wife.

So we kind of spread out along this road (the only thing off of this road was the entrance to the cemetary but it was probably 1/2 a mile long) and just listened. We'd hear cars every once in a while. And a few times, we heard things from the wooded area around the road. Nothing crazy. But because we knew the story we were a little freaked out.

At one point, Loren and I were sitting in the road about halfway down and I heard a creaking noise. Like rope on a tree branch, weighted down at the bottom. So we were probably there for about an hour. We went back home to listen to the tape. It was a calm night. No breeze at all. And at one point on the tape, we distinctly heard what sounded like a swift breeze, or whisper. It was SO WILD!! And we did hear the creaking noise too.

I was looking online about a year ago at a site that has Tennessee hauntings. That incident was listed!

I think it's more like spirits who can't pass on. Like on Ghost Whisperer...or Casper ;), they have unfinished business.

Wow, I sound a little crazy...

2 comments:

Rachel Norris said...

i had to get caught up! i have missed so many of your blogs. i love you. i'm so proud of you its overwhelming.

TheBookKnerd said...

i like that kind of stuff too...a little bit. i can freak myself !! we went an a haunted ghost tour in salem, mass.... freaky!!